Destination OverviewNew Orleans has had a powerful influence on American and global culture. Their cuisine is known across the world and rock and roll was born from the sounds of their sultry jazz. The city’s food, music and cultural practices will capture your imagination. Diversity, creativity and celebration are at the core of the New Orleans way of life. The New Orleans laid back, friendly culture inspires guests to relax, kick up their heels and live it up. The city balances a love for tradition with the energy of innovation, resulting in an eclectic vibe found nowhere else.
New Orleans WeatherNew Orleans has a subtropical climate with pleasant year-round temperatures. Temperatures range from the mid 40’s in the winter to the upper 90’s in the summer. Rainfall is common in New Orleans, with a monthly average of about five inches of precipitation.
Historical averages for the month of May: temperature of 64-84 °F with 69% sunshine.
Things to Do During Your StayElevate your travel experience with some of the many things to do before, during and after the conference. Take a bike ride along the Mississippi River, feed an alligator or stroll through time as you take in the stories behind one of the many historical attractions. Whether you’re a sports fan, history buff, outdoor adventurer, aspiring chef or music lover, there’s an attraction in New Orleans to suit your every need.
- Experience the French Quarter: The historic French Quarter is comprised of over 100 square-blocks of art, dining, shopping, entertainment and architectural treasures.
- Bourbon Street: In addition to venues featuring bands covering your favorite songs, the street is also home to traditional jazz clubs, upscale lounges and historic restaurants.
- Urban Kayaking: It may seem a bit unusual to spend the day kayaking through New Orleans, but the historic Bayou St. John provides an ideal trail for seeing the sights and getting a feel for the city.
- Southern Food and Beverage Museum: With exhibits chronicling the culture of food and drink in the American South, this museum is the perfect way to get a taste for regional specialties.
- Fair Ground Race Course & Slots: If live gaming sounds exciting, don’t miss the action at the Fair Grounds, located about 10 minutes from the French Quarter and downtown New Orleans.
- Celebration Distillation: For a taste of New Orleans, head over to Celebration Distillation, producer of Old New Orleans Rum, for a tour and tasting.
- Plantations: Explore Louisiana’s plantations with the help of professional tour guides who will guide you through these pre-war estates and their iconic architectural features.
- May 20-22: Mid-City Bayou Boogaloo
- May 26-29: New Orleans Wine & Food Experience
- May 26-29: Oyster Festival
- May 18, 19, 25, 26: David Hansen's Garden District Jazz Trio at Houston’s Restaurant
- May 18 & 25: Heart of the House at the House of Blues
- May 20 & 27: Backyard Grooves at the House of Blues
- May 20 & 27: Double Dose at the House of Blues
- May 20: Mahalia Jackson Theater Presents – Jessica Lang Dance
- May 20 & 27: The House of Groove
- May 20 & 27: The New Movement Presents – Go Ahead Comedy Show